Felicity Gottlieb is a certified dietitian with a passion for the great outdoors. She expertly melds her knowledge of nutrition with her love of camping to provide invaluable guidance for healthy eating in the wilderness. Felicity has devoted numerous hours to researching and perfecting recipes that are not only nutritious but also tantalizingly tasty for those on camping adventures.
As a registered dietitian and outdoor enthusiast, I've had the opportunity to experiment with a variety of vegan meals while camping. One of my all-time favorite vegan meals to share with non-vegans is a delicious and hearty one-pot lentil and vegetable stew.
Why choose a one-pot lentil and vegetable stew?
Well, first of all, it's incredibly easy to make. When you're out in the wilderness, you don't want to spend too much time cooking and cleaning up. With a one-pot meal, you can simply throw all the ingredients into a pot and let it simmer while you enjoy the great outdoors.
Secondly, lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein. They are packed with fiber, iron, and other essential nutrients that can keep you energized during your camping adventures. This makes it a great option for both vegans and non-vegans who are looking for a high-protein meal without the meat.
How to make a one-pot lentil and vegetable stew:
Here's a simple recipe that you can try on your next camping trip, following the smart camping meal prep tips:
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
2. Add the carrots, celery, and bell pepper to the pot and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
3. Rinse the lentils and add them to the pot along with the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
5. Serve the stew hot and enjoy!
Customize your stew:
One of the great things about this one-pot lentil and vegetable stew is that you can easily customize it to suit your taste preferences. Feel free to add other vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach. You can also spice it up with some chili powder or cumin if you like a bit of heat.
So, whether you're a vegan or a non-vegan, this one-pot lentil and vegetable stew is sure to satisfy your taste buds while camping. It's a nutritious, easy-to-make, and delicious meal that everyone can enjoy together. Happy camping and happy eating!