Felicity Gottlieb is a certified dietitian with a passion for the great outdoors. She expertly melds her knowledge of nutrition with her love of camping to provide invaluable guidance for healthy eating in the wilderness. Felicity has devoted numerous hours to researching and perfecting recipes that are not only nutritious but also tantalizingly tasty for those on camping adventures.
Hey there! When it comes to camping on a budget, finding a filling vegan meal for under $2 can seem like a challenge. But fear not, I've got you covered! Here's a delicious and budget-friendly vegan camping meal that will keep you satisfied without breaking the bank.
Black Bean and Rice Burritos
- 1 can of black beans ($0.99)
- 1 cup of rice ($0.50)
- 1 small onion, diced ($0.25)
- 1 bell pepper, diced ($0.50)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced ($0.10)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil ($0.10)
- Salt and pepper to taste ($0.05)
- Tortillas ($1.00 for a pack of 8)
1. Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the skillet along with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix everything together. Cook for an additional 2 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
5. Warm the tortillas over the campfire or on a camping stove.
6. Spoon the black bean and rice mixture onto each tortilla, fold in the sides, and roll up tightly.
This recipe makes about 4 burritos, which means each burrito costs less than $1.50! Plus, it's packed with protein and fiber from the black beans and rice, making it a filling and nutritious meal for your camping adventures.
If you want to add some extra flavor and variety to your burritos, here are a few optional toppings you can bring along:
- Vegan sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced jalapeños
Feel free to get creative and customize your burritos to your liking. And remember, you can always double or triple the recipe if you're camping with a group or want leftovers for the next day.
So there you have it, a delicious and budget-friendly vegan camping meal that will keep you full and satisfied without breaking the bank. Happy camping and happy eating!