Kathryn is a seasoned wildlife biologist with a passion for camping. She possesses extensive knowledge about food storage in territories frequented by bears and loves imparting her practical advice on maintaining safety for both humans and bears. Kathryn is also celebrated for her innovation in weaving wild edibles into camping cuisine.
When it comes to camping, I believe that breakfast and dinner are the two most important meals of the day. They provide the fuel we need to start our day off right and replenish our energy after a long day of outdoor activities. So, here are a few of my favorite high-protein breakfast and dinner meals for camping:
1. Simple and Nutritious Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a classic camping breakfast that is both easy to make and packed with nutrients. Simply bring some instant oats, your favorite toppings (such as dried fruits, nuts, and honey), and hot water. Mix them together in a bowl or cup, cover, and let it sit for a few minutes until the oats are soft and ready to eat.
2. Hearty Breakfast Burritos: For a more filling breakfast, I love making breakfast burritos. Start by cooking some scrambled eggs in a skillet over the camping stove. Then, add your favorite ingredients like cooked bacon or sausage, cheese, and veggies. Wrap it all up in a tortilla and enjoy a delicious and portable breakfast.
3. Energy-Packed Granola Bars: If you're on the go and need a quick breakfast option, homemade granola bars are a great choice. Mix together oats, nuts, dried fruits, honey, and peanut butter, then press the mixture into a baking dish and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, cut them into bars and you'll have a nutritious and energizing breakfast ready to take on your adventures.
1. One-Pot Pasta: One of my go-to dinner meals for camping is one-pot pasta. It's easy to make and requires minimal cleanup. Simply bring a pot of water to a boil, add your favorite pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, then add your choice of sauce, veggies, and protein (such as cooked chicken or tofu). Stir everything together and let it simmer for a few minutes until heated through. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and enjoy a satisfying meal.
2. Vegetable Stir-Fry: Another delicious and healthy dinner option is a vegetable stir-fry. Chop up your favorite veggies (such as bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms) and cook them in a skillet with some oil over the campfire or camp stove. Add soy sauce or your favorite stir-fry sauce for flavor, and serve over rice or noodles for a complete meal.
3. Campfire Chili: Nothing beats a warm and hearty bowl of chili on a chilly camping night. Prepare your favorite chili recipe ahead of time and store it in a sealed container. When you're ready to eat, simply heat it up in a pot over the campfire or camp stove. Serve with some cornbread or tortilla chips for a filling and satisfying dinner.
These are just a few of my favorite breakfast and dinner meals for camping. The key is to choose meals that are easy to prepare, require minimal ingredients and equipment, and provide the energy you need for your outdoor adventures. For more ideas, check out this comprehensive guide to healthy camping meals. Happy camping and bon appétit!