Jared is a vegan chef and outdoor enthusiast. He believes that plant-based eating is not only healthy but also sustainable for the environment. He loves to create delicious vegan meals that are easy to prepare and perfect for camping trips.
Yes, you can absolutely make a soufflé in a Dutch oven over a campfire! It may sound fancy, but it's actually quite simple and can be a delicious treat to enjoy while camping. If you're interested in more camping stove recipes, check out our guide. But for now, here's how you can make a campfire soufflé:
1. Prepare your ingredients: To make a campfire soufflé, you'll need eggs, sugar, flour, milk (or a non-dairy alternative), and any flavorings or add-ins you like. You can get creative with flavors like chocolate, vanilla, or even fruit.
2. Preheat your Dutch oven: Place your Dutch oven on a campfire grate or over hot coals to preheat. This will ensure even cooking and prevent the soufflé from sticking to the bottom. If you're new to using a Dutch oven, you might find this guide on baking with a Dutch oven helpful.
3. Grease the Dutch oven: Use a little oil or cooking spray to grease the inside of the Dutch oven. This will help prevent the soufflé from sticking and make it easier to remove once it's cooked.
4. Mix the ingredients: In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, milk, and any flavorings or add-ins you're using. You want the mixture to be smooth and well combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the Dutch oven: Carefully pour the soufflé mixture into the preheated and greased Dutch oven. Make sure to leave some space at the top for the soufflé to rise. If you're looking for more one-pot vegan camping meals, we've got you covered.
6. Cook over the campfire: Place the lid on the Dutch oven and arrange hot coals around and on top of it. This will create an even heat distribution for baking. Cook the soufflé for about 20-30 minutes, or until it's puffed up and golden brown on top.
7. Check for doneness: To check if the soufflé is cooked through, gently press the top with a spoon or your finger. It should spring back and feel firm to the touch. If it's still jiggly, it needs more time to cook.
8. Serve and enjoy: Once the soufflé is cooked, carefully remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let it cool slightly. Then, use a spatula or knife to loosen the edges and transfer the soufflé to a serving dish. It's best enjoyed warm and fresh from the campfire!
Making a soufflé in a Dutch oven over a campfire is a fun and delicious way to elevate your camping meals. Just remember to keep an eye on the heat and adjust as needed to prevent burning. So go ahead, impress your camping buddies with this gourmet treat in the great outdoors! For more ideas on how to elevate your camping meals, check out our top 10 vegetarian camping recipes.
Pro tip: To add some extra flavor and texture to your campfire soufflé, consider adding in some crushed nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit. These add-ins will give your soufflé a delightful crunch and burst of flavor. For more pro tips on camping meals, check out our guide on camping food hacks.